Dark Side at 40

Last night I checked out a live stream from the official Pink Floyd website of Dark Side of the Moon.  I have blogged about this album and about the band several times before.  The stream commemorated the 40th anniversary of the worldwide music concept sensation that rocketed them to super stardom and perhaps sold more than 50 million copies.

A special Twitter feed went on live during the streaming.  I did not check it out and only listened to a few of the tracks.  My mind was really elsewhere but I wanted to tune-in as part of the celebrationRolling Stone did a cover story on the band and the album as recently as 2011.  Dark Side is definitely still relevant at least to the postmodern zeitgeist.

Hard to believe it has been 40 years.  But, I have to remember I did not listen to this album until I went to college.  That was about five years after it was released.  I discovered Dark Side and Wish You Were Here more or less simultaneously which had a powerful impact on me.  Experiencing these albums was part of my liberation, the expansion of my artistic appreciation and cultural awareness. 

Long-time graphic design collaborator Storm Thorgerson created a wonderful new print for the anniversaryDark Side of the Moon was recently archived by the Library of Congress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lady Chatterley's Lover: An Intensely Sexy Read

A Summary of Money, Power, and Wall Street

A Summary of United States of Secrets