My Daisies This Spring


Early each spring I start scouting my property for the first signs of daisies.  Every year I avoid mowing over them, allowing them to grow to their fullness.  Only after the seed head turns black with the mid-summer heat do I mow them down, hopefully ensuring that there will be plenty next spring.  I posted an example of their prolific nature back in 2013.

Their fullness and abundance naturally varies depending upon weather conditions.  2013 was a banner year in some respects, with a couple of large sections of daisies in my front yard and lower field.  I had similar luck in 2016 but we experienced an extended drought late that year and then an exceptionally cold winter after that. Most of the seeds I mulched into the ground just roasted in the sun or failed to get an early start due to the bitter chill.  There were few daisies last year.

But, thanks to more rain and better weather conditions, this year the daisies are once again fairly abundant.  This is my version of "gardening."  The past couple of years I have seeded Black-eyed Susans as well in the lower field.  After unimpressive beginnings it looks as though they are going to be abundant later this summer.  I'll post some photos of them when the time comes.

Spring is my second favorite season after fall.  The daisies are beautiful and tranquil to behold, adding to the overall feeling of place and beauty that I experience on my property.  Here's a sampling of what things look like this spring...


Compare this photo taken this past Saturday with the one above it from the Saturday before.  You can see the subtle changes that place over the course of one week's time.  More and more daisies are popping out every day this time of year.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lady Chatterley's Lover: An Intensely Sexy Read

A Summary of Money, Power, and Wall Street

A Summary of United States of Secrets